Fifth Division Cup final: Carew 3rds 8-2 Newport Tigers

A hat trick from striker Josh Lewis helped Carew 3rds cruise to the Fifth Division Cup as they proved way too strong for the Newport Tigers at the Bridge Meadow last night.

The Rooks were 5-0 up by half time through Lewis, Luke Hicks (2), Jay Griffiths and James Worrall and although Rhys James and sub Adam Lewis did later get consolation goals for The Tiger, Lewis struck twice more for his treble and sub Jack Lear also scored to complete a great night for Sion Jenkins and co.

Ironically it was Newport who started stronger when striker Joe Rafati-Barham’s mazy run into the box prompted a scramble – but after eight minutes The Rooks were ahead.

Sam Goodwin’s through ball put Lewis clean through and he kept cool to place a low shot past Kevin Salmon.

Newport tried to respond as veteran Carew defender Paul Maytem was forced into a vital last ditch tackle before a Joe Thomas corner flashed across the face of goal.

But from that moment on the first half was one way traffic. Lewis dragged a shot wide of the far post before on 25 minutes Hicks made it 2-0, sweeping home from 12 yards after Morgan Broomhall and Lewis had combined to set him up.

Then 10 minutes later Hicks had a second as his in-swinging corner evaded everyone, including keeper Salmon, and found the net.

Rafati-Barham did force a free kick for Newport but then could only fire it into the wall, and at the other end Carew soon struck again.

Three minutes before half time left back Griffiths hit a speculative shot from 40 yards which sailed over a back pedalling Salmon for goal number four.

And the rout continued in first half injury time as Worrall, moments after clearing off his own line, scored from close range after a square ball from Hicks.

It meant The Tigers came out with little more than pride at stake, and they fashioned an early free kick 20 yards out which captain Geno Cleal put it over the bar. Dan Innes then headed back across goal from a corner but the Carew defence scrambled clear.

Then with 20 minutes left The Rooks made it 6-0 as Lewis notched the goal of the game. Again it was Goodwin who released him with a left footed pass and the forward raced through on goal from half way before firing across Salmon and into the bottom corner.

But 15 minutes from time Newport finally had something to shout about when Adam Lewis turned well in the area and shot against the post, with sub Rhys James on hand to score the rebound.

The relief was short lived though as two minutes later a Sam Lewis free kick found its way to namesake Josh, and he turned and volleyed home left footed for his hat trick.

To Newport’s credit they kept going and Lewis forced a good near post save out of Carew player manager Jenkins, only for the forward to then score directly from the corner that followed as his cross crept over the line.

There was still time for one more Carew goal as again Lewis broke free in the area and forced a good save out of Salmon, with sub Jack Lear on hand to fire in the loose ball.

It rounded off a one sided cup final and after some words from Pembrokeshire Football League officer Brian Hawkins in the post-match presentations, Carew skipper Tom Woolford soon had his hands on the trophy as The Rooks celebrated winning the first Divisional Cup final of the 2018/19 Pembrokeshire season.

Man of the match – Josh Lewis:

When a team wins 8-2 obviously a few players are going to stand out, and Luke Hicks’ first half brace and the all round play of Sam Goodwin were both big factors. But it’s hard to overlook Lewis who got the ball rolling early on and later scored the goal of the game for his second, before ultimately completing a cup final hat trick. Not too many players have one of them on the Meadow.

Sion Jenkins (Carew player coach):

“It went unbelievably well for us really.

“We had the chance to bring boys in tonight who weren’t cup tied but we said at the start that this was the group of boys who have stuck together all season.

“It’s a big pitch but we coped with it well and the performance was incredible. We were expecting a tight game.”

Matt Lewis (Newport coach):

“It’s out first season and I’m happy for the boys to have reached a cup final.

“For 35 minutes we were in it and did plenty of attacking but then little mistakes cost us.

“For our first season together it’s been a good and now we have to build on this.”

Carew 3rds: Sion Jenkins, Shaun Lewis, Sam Lewis, Paul Maytem, Jay Griffiths, Tom Woolford, James Worrall, Morgan Broomhill, Sam Goodwin, Josh Lewis, Luke Hicks. Subs (all used): Rhys Canton, Jack Lear, Matt Morris.

Newport Tigers: Kevin Salmon, Jonny Shelvin, Will Benham, Matthew Evans, Dan Innes, Matthew Williams, Joe Thomas, Geno Cleal, Sion James, Adam Lewis, Joe Rafati-Barham. Subs (all used): Jamie Holmes, Rhys James, Emyr Davies.

Referee: Bradley Flood.

Assistants: Keith Amos and Neil Crawshaw.