Third Division Cup Final: Pendine 4-0 Milford United 2nds

Pendine produced a dominant first half display to ensure they claimed the Third Division Cup for the first time by beating Milford United 2nds at the Bridge Meadow.

 Goals from Julian Blewitt, Jac Haley and Damien Lewis (2) put them 4-0 up by half time, and although a scoreless second half was a much more even affair, the damage was done.

It took just three minutes for the Seagulls to lead when player manager Justin Blewitt’s shot bounced up off the bar – and brother Julian was on hand to nod in from close range.

Callum Syddall nearly made two as he whipped an 18 yard shot just past the post while at the other end, Michael McCarthy’s through ball put Garin Gardner clean through but he could only shoot wide.

The Robins were made to pay as on 15 minutes Pendine were 2-0 up, Sydall squaring for Lewis to score from close range.

Then both Lewis and Haley went close in a scramble in the area, with the latter’s shot cleared off the line by Milford defender Wes Hill.

Chances continued to come at either end as McCarthy had a vicious free kick well tipped over by Pendine keeper Jack Bowen, before centre back William Goodall headed against the bar.

But in the final 15 minutes of the half Pendine effectively had things sown up. Lewis was involved again as his flick on found Haley, who buried a low shot past Andrew Fairbairn.

And then it was Lewis who got number four, defying a tight angle to slot a shot past Fairbairn and 43 minutes in, the Seagulls were flying.

They had two more big chances before the break as Sam Cole went clean through but was thwarted by Fairbairn, before Haley narrowly failed to covert Sydall’s cross.

The second 45 minutes were much tamer as Blewitt’s side consolidated their lead, and to Milford’s credit they didn’t give up as Aaron Griffiths fired just over from outside the box.

Skipper Bradley Davies also had a long range shot well held by Bowen while Pendine’s best chance for a fifth came when sub Ryan Pearce shot wide late on.

But it mattered little as the Seagulls were soon celebrating silverware, and a first cup win since they won the Second Division version in the 2002/03 season.

Man of the match - Damien Lewis: Pendine laid the foundations in the first half and Lewis was central to that, scoring twice and helping create another. He enjoyed the wide spaces of the Meadow and the Robins struggled to cope with his pace on and off the ball. He was substituted towards the end and looked spent – understandably so.

Justin Blewitt (Pendine player manager): “The first half we got into out stride and managed to blow Milford away and they couldn’t come back then. Second half it was just a case of game management.

“We knew it wouldn’t be easy tonight so the start was important. We had to come out the blocks quick and managed to do that.”

Pendine: Jack Bowen, Sam Cole, Peter Davies, Julian Blewitt, Nathan Davies, Jamie Blewitt, Damien Lewis, Callum Syddall, Justin Blewitt, Jac Haley, Adam Moore. Subs (all used): Ryan Pearce, Chris Evans, Paul Langdon.

Milford United 2nds: Andrew Fairbairn, Wes Hill, Garin Gardener, Tommy Davies, William Goodall, Stephan Clarke, Owen Lewis, Liam Davies, Aaron Griffiths, Michael McCarthy, Bradley Davies. Subs: (all used) Tom Blockwell, Jack Scriven, Dan Maccalan.

Referee: Bernie Armstrong

Assistants: Barry Evans and Karl Davies.

Fourth official: Gareth Elliott.