Colin Lloyd Cup: Hook (180-7) beat Llangwm (70 all out)

The cricket clubs of Hook and Llangwm villages came together on Friday for a match in memory of Colin Lloyd.

This fixture was formerly an annual event but had not been played for a number of years - but both clubs have been keen to resurrect it and as of next season it will take the format of a two innings match on May Bank Holiday weekend.

Colin Lloyd played rugby and cricket in the colours of the two villages before he sadly passed away - and all proceeds from the match were donated to charity.

The teams enjoyed a spirited game of cricket but the main result was the Paul Satori Foundation will receive £175 and the Wales Air Ambulance £75. The decision was taken to split funds raised in light of the tragic loss of John Williams, the much respected umpire from Hundleton.

On a beautiful evening, this T20 match saw Hook bat first and post an imposing total of 180.

Hook started slowly before Jacob Lay started to motor after Aled Phelps and Craig Nutty went early.

Lay struck a swift 21, Jake Wicks 42 and skipper Jamie Phelps cracked several sixes to make 61 from 31 balls -as Hook closed on 180-7.

For Llangwm, Noah Davies took 2-23, Joe Phillips 1-28, Ollie Davies 1-20, Toby Asson 1-27 and Callum Jenkins 1-26.

In reply, Llangwm had the worst of starts as they lost key batsman Noah Davies early on, bowled by Callum James.

However, skipper Ollie Davies was in belligerent form, finding the boundary regularly in his 35 before he too was bowled by James.

Following the loss of their skipper, Llangwm lost momentum and in the inevitable push for quick runs began to lose wickets.

James (3-23) did the early damage but there was no let up as Dai Hopkins (2-9), Aled Phelps (2-27) and Matthew Holder (2-3) all took wickets.

Mike Williams played a brief cameo for 10 but then George James came into the attack and rounded off the game, taking the final Llangwm wicket with his first delivery.

The evening concluded with refreshments in the club and the Hook Chairman presenting the trophy to the winning captain Jamie Phelps - before thanking everyone for their generous support of the fixture.