Division Two West: Fishguard & Goodwick 30-20 Milford Haven 

This Pembrokeshire derby between Fishguard & Goodwick and Milford Haven lived up to its expectations as The Seagulls edged home – leaving The Mariners rightly disappointed as they missed out on a deserved a bonus point as a last-gasp penalty went wide.

The home side had the better of the opening exchanges and after Mark Jones had landed an early penalty with his left boot they had chances as Simon James was hauled down inches short and James Griffiths only just missed out from a quickly-taken tapped penalty.

The Mariners defended really well as Sam Dolling, Dai Sweeny, Mike Cockburn, Dai Round tackled like demons – and then they swung play against the wind to enjoy a pressure period of almost 25 minutes where James Trueman slotted a wide penalty via the upright and quick hands from Steve Martin, Dan Birch and Dan Jenkins sent Dolling racing away and supplying the scoring pass for flanker Ryan Mansell, with Trueman added the extras.

But they relaxed almost from the kick-off allowing a close-range try for home prop Ryan McVeigh which Mark Jones did well to convert – but right on half time The Seagulls lost James Griffiths for ten minutes for a high tackle which sparked a melee that was well dealt with by referee Adam Bowdler (Aberaeron).

Despite being down to 14 men Fishguard opened the second-half scoring with another Jones penalty but Milford responded with a classic three-quarter move from which Steve Martin showed his class with an unconverted corner try - and was denied another by a terrific corner tackle by James Griffiths.

The pace was intense and Jones slotted another penalty and then converted a try by skipper Shousha to put his team 23-15 in front, but back came The Mariners with a splendid unconverted try from centre Dan Jenkins.

Chasing a three-point deficit the visitors were in with a real chance but The Seagulls penned them back with some good ball retention when second row Ben John scored a try which Jones again converted.

Milford had one final chance of a bonus point from the final kick of the game but Trueman was narrowly wide and so The Seagulls celebrated their second straight win – but both teams deserved every credit for an entertaining tussle.

Fishguard coach Nathan Jenkins said after: “I thought we were good value for it with our second half performance but we allowed Milford too much possession when we had the wind in the first half. We need to show a little more sharpness and certainly improve our ball retention.”

Milford coach Nathan Williams added: "We are disappointed because we had our chances but the boyrs are competing well at this level.

"We’ll be back out training in midweek to work things and certainly showed again we belong in Division Two.”

Fishguard: Robbie Jones, Rhys Evans, Geraint Jones, James Griffiths, Ed Bendall, Mark Jones, Dan Evans, Ryan McVeigh, Gavin Walsh, Andrew Morrilo, Luke Freebury, Ben John, Scott Riches, Chris Shousha (capt), Simon James. Replacements: Will Delaney, Liam Wilkes, Mark George, Gwil Evans, Thomas George.

Milford Haven: Jamie Lewis, Lee Riley, Dan Jenkins, Dan Birch (capt), Steve Martin, James Trueman, Danny McClelland, Mike Cockburn, Luke Ryan, Adam Rees, Brandon Cooper, David Round, Dai Sweeny, Ryan Mansell, Sam Dolling. Replacements: Nathan Williams,Zac France-Miller, Zac Davies, Gareth Cheshire, George Evans.