Harrison-Allen Bowl quarter final: Narberth (116-9) lost to Haverfordwest (118-5) by 5 wickets

Adam James made a mess of Narberth’s top order to set up a win for Bowl holders Haverfordwest – but only after The Town came through a tense run chase.

James took 5-22 as the home side slipped to 15-5, and although they admirably recovered a final total of 116-9 wasn’t enough as The Town got home with wickets to spare.

It was James who clean bowled opener Richie Adams (0) while Jonny White (1-38) had Had Luff caught by Ben Field, also without scoring.

James then went on to remove Lewis Hough (2), Kyle Quartermaine (7) and Jordan Howell (2) as a quick finish looked on the cards.

But Narberth dug in, and a stand of 30 between Loui Davies and Ben Quartermaine rebuilt matters before the latter became James’ fifth victim for 10, and Howell reached 31 (three fours and a six) before holing out to Dai Davies off Archie Thomas.

Thomas (2-23) also removed Dan Hughes (3) but No 8 Davy Johns continued the fight, cracking a four and a six in his 29 and sharing a stand of 41 with Ben Hughes, who did the same in his 19 not out.

Johns was eventually stumped by Jack Scriven off Clive Tucker (1-32) while Matthew Johns added 3 not out, and Narberth’s total of 116-9 was at least a competitive one.

The Town’s reply started in rapid fashion though with the score 57-2 after only five overs.

James typically smashed three fours and two sixes in his 28 before being bowled by Ben Quartermaine aiming another big hit, and No 3 Acrhie Thomas went first ball to the same bowler – courtesy of a good catch by Loui Davies.

Skipper Davies joined opener Danny Potter though and at 71-2, the visitors looked comfortable before the latter was bowled by Matthew Johns after striking six boundaries in his 34, and then Davies (8) was caught by Matthew Johns off Ben Hughes.

It was Johns who then bowled Lee Summons without scoring on his way to remarkable figured of 2-4 in six overs and at 81-5, the game was truly back on.

But Ben Field (four fours in his 28 not out) and Jake Merry (14 not out) kept their heads, as The Town came through the wobble to seal victory with just two overs to spare.

Umpires: Richard Scriven and Jon Willington.

Scorers: Gwyneth Johns and Jayne Cole.