HAVERFORDWEST County were unable to upset Connah’s Quay Nomads as Michael Wilde’s 200th goal in the Welsh top flight sealed a 2-0 win for the Cymru Premier leaders at Deeside stadium.

The Bluebirds had done Nomads a massive favour when they beat second-placed The New Saints at Bridge Meadow the previous week, but Nomads showed little sign of slipping up in the title race.

Wayne Jones’ side battled well, but ultimately George Horan’s strike put the hosts in control at the end of the first half, and Wilde then ensured Nomads stretched their unbeaten run to 13 games.

That included a 3-1 win over third-placed Bala Town in midweek, and a confident start from Andy Morrison’s side meant that the Bluebirds’ midfield was worked hard from the opening minutes.

Sean Pemberton was the only change to Haverfordwest’s starting line-up, the skipper replacing the suspended Alaric Jones in the heart of defence, and he was kept busy from the opening minutes.

Aron Williams' long throw-ins tested the visiting defence, with Horan and Neil Danns heading early warnings wide, before a John Disney free kick almost set up Wilde, whose effort was cleared.

Haverfordwest keeper Matthew Turner was largely untroubled until around the half hour mark, but the Leeds United Academy player was alert to keep out a decent 18 yard effort by Danny Davies.

The Bluebirds, looking to consolidate their top six position, held firm and they looked to have done enough to take a clean sheet into the interval when Nomads snatched the lead in injury time.

A corner from Aron Williams and slotted home from close range by captain Horan, and despite the appeals for an infringement, referee Rob Jenkins allowed it, and Nomads were ahead at the break.

With Turner forced off with injury, replacement keeper Wojciech Gajda came out at the start of the second half, and within six minutes Davies crossed to Horan, who headed just over the target.

At the other end, Corey Shephard's bicycle kick went over the crossbar, and Elliot Scotcher also fired over, but cometh the hour cometh the man, as Cymru Premier stalwart Wilde got his 200th goal.

Craig Curran beat his man to get on the end of a high ball from Danny Holmes, and squared the ball to Wilde to slot home – and there was no way back for the Pembrokeshire men from there.

Further home pressure saw Horan send a bullet header wide, and Davies’ strike forced a save from Ganda, who also did well to deny Callum Morris, who went through one-on-one with the keeper.

Haverfordwest’s dropped to seventh place in the table, whilst the high-flying Nomads extend their lead at the top to six points - although The New Saints do have a game in hand on the leaders.

With two games to go until the league split, Haverfordwest look to bounce back when they travel to face eighth-placed Newtown on Saturday, before playing Penybont away the following Friday.

CONNAH’S QUAY: O. Byrne, J. Disney, G. Horan (capt), D. Harrison, C. Morris, C. Morris, M. Wilde, N. Danns, D. Holmes, C. Curran (J. Insall 74), A. Williams, D. Davies (J. Hunt 82). Substitutes not used: R. Glean, T. Moore, D. Tharme, S. Rickett, C. Darling.

HAVERFORDWEST: M. Turner (W. Gajda 45), J. Richards, D. Summerfield (C. Keetch 45), R. Watts, S. Tancock, S. Pemberton (capt), K. Rees (E. Scotcher 58), D. Williams, C. Shephard, B. Fawcett (T. Jones 68), K. Lewis. Substitute not used: M. Griffiths.

Referee: Simon Evans. Assistants: Ashley Davis & Jordan Christopher. Fourth Official: Thomas Owen.