Haverfordwest County lost the top spot in the Cymru Premier Playoff Conference, after being on the losing end of a five-goal thriller away at Cardiff Metropolitan University.

It is also the first time Nicky Hayen has been defeated as Bluebirds manager, since starting his tenure in the Ogi Bridge Meadow Stadium hot seat with four wins and one draw.

The home side took the lead late on in the first half, when the Cardiff Met attack put pressure on County captain Kurtis Rees, who could do nothing but put the ball at the feet of Harry Owen, who slotted underneath Lee Idzi.

The Bluebirds had chances to level, as they pushed for the much-desired equaliser. A point would have been enough to keep the Bluebirds at the top of the Playoff Conference.

One of the best chances was when Fawcett, with three defenders on his back, found a slot to shoot with power into, but Alex Lang got down to gather.

However, the Bluebirds were rewarded with a leveller after a quick free kick sparked an attack with Jordan Davies on the left wing, who made an inch-perfect cross to Danny Williams who headed past Lang.

But County were only level for a matter of moments. Four minutes later, an attack led by Eliot Evans found Taylor James, who saw his shot blocked and lead to a goalmouth scramble, where Evans simply smashed the ball on target for 2-1.

The win was sealed in stoppage time, when Jordan Lam on the left wing ran towards the goalline and put in a low cross across goal, past Idzi to Lewis Rees at the far post who tapped in to wrap up the win.

But there was still time to grab a consolation, as seconds later, a ball across goal found the oncoming Alaric Jones who smashed the ball in. But no goal could be found in the final two minutes of stoppage time and Cardiff Met had the win.

The home side leapfrog the Bluebirds into top spot, and are now three points ahead. However, County still have the superior goal difference.

The Bluebirds are also three points ahead of ninth place Aberystwyth Town, who are the next team to face Haverfordwest, as Hayen’s men return to Pembrokeshire on the evening of Tuesday, April 5.