Welsh Veterans League:

Hakin United Over 40s 2-1 Cambrian Consulting Over 40s

AN injury time header from striker Matthew Price sealed three points for Hakin United Over 40s just as they seemed set to be frustrated by a resilient Cambrian and Consulting side at The Obs.

It was Price whose half volley had given the home side in the lead in the first half, only for Neil Roberts to level for the visitors from the penalty spot after the break.

But after The Veteran Vikings had missed a string of second half chances, it was Price who got on the end of a Michael McCarthy cross to head in at the back post and seal a deserved win.

Malcolm Jones’ side began in the ascendancy and Stuart MacDonald latched onto McCarthy’s through ball, but could only stab wide as Cambrian keeper Mike Egan dived bravely at his feet.

Egan had to be sharp again moments later to push away a Price shot after he had been teed up by Adam Collins in the area, and Hakin threatened again when Gary Dawes fired inches over following a goalmouth scramble.

But 22 minutes in the pressure told when Price picked up possession with his back to goal, and turned sharply before firing a half volley into the top corner from 10 yards out.

Nigel Delaney then had a free kick saved by Egan, before Cambrian got their first real sight at goal when Sean Sullivan cut into the area, before seeing his low shot well held by Hakin keeper Jason Morgan.

As the weather deteriorated, The Veteran Vikings went close early in the second half when Edwards had a shot blocked by Egan at the near post – but within 10 minutes of the re-start the away side were level.

Sullivan broke into the Hakin area and his awkward low shot was knocked onto the bar by Morgan, and in the scramble that followed, Collins was adjudged to have fouled Roberts and referee Paul Rooney pointed to the spot.

The striker himself placed the penalty low to Morgan’s right and into the bottom corner.

Hakin were then twice denied by the woodwork as they sought to respond, with both McCarthy and Jamie Phillips striking the post with powerful long range efforts.

Richard Nash also dragged a left foot shot narrowly wide, before at the other end Roberts had claims for a second penalty turned down after tussling with Delaney.

Cambrian midfielder Richard Ferguson also saw his free kick beat the wall but fly just past the post – but in the final minutes, it was the home side who piled forward in search of a winner.

Paul Jones was denied by Egan from close range, and a sliding Gray just failed to connect with an Edwards cross with the goal gaping.

McCarthy then went clean through only for his shot to be brilliantly blocked by the legs of Egan – but as the game entered time added on, the Veteran Vikings got the winner they deserved.

It was McCarthy who picked up the ball on the left side of the area, and floated a cross to the back post where an unmarked Price made no mistake with a diving header.

Hakin United Over 40s: Jason Morgan, Adam Collins, Nigel Delaney, Richard Bland, Nigel Armstrong, Gary Dawes, Stuart MacDonald, Richard Nash, Michael McCarthy, Leighton Edwards, Matthew Price.

Subs (rolling): Jamie Phillips, Anthony Aldred, Robert Davies, Gerrard Gray, Paul Jones.