Paramedics have rushed to Haverfordwest magistrates court this morning (Wednesday) after a defendant cut his own throat in the dock.

A Western Telegraph reporter in the court saw the incident.

She said: “The defendant was in the dock for a sentencing hearing when he attracted his solicitor’s attention to ask to be allowed to go to the toilet.

“He returned to the dock very quickly, remained standing then muttered something through the glass.

“Suddenly everyone in the courtroom turned as he made stabbing motions at his neck.  I couldn’t see what he had in his hand, but he made several frantic jabs at his throat.

“The alarm was raised and the clerk rang the emergency services while court staff rushed in to administer first aid.

“It all happened so quickly, the paramedics and police were on the scene really quickly and treated him in the dock as the court was sealed off.

“It was a surreal situation, and I think everyone was quite shaken,  but the court staff were very supportive and professional throughout.”

See more from the reporter here.

The Wales Air Ambulance was called to the scene.

The defendant was 33-year-old Lukasz Robert Pawlowski who had previously pleaded guilty to sexual assault by grabbing and kissing a shop assistant.

Pawlowski, of Bush Street, Pembroke Dock, was appearing for sentence at Haverfordwest this morning when the incident happened.

The original incident happened on October 30.

The court heard Pawlowski had grabbed the assistant's wrists and kissed her on the cheek, then walked off into the store.
Pawlowski later grabbed her from behind while she carried cans of lager.

He pulled her backwards and proceeded to kiss her on the lips.

The incident was captured on CCTV and Pawlowski was arrested two days later.
A victim impact statement read to the court said: “The incident made me feel dirty and I feel vulnerable in work now. It impacted on my job, and I don’t feel I can work nights.”

A spokesman for Dyfed-Powys Police said: "Dyfed-Powys Police was requested at Haverfordwest Magistrates Court at approx. 10.20am this morning. Officers attended and found an injured man at the scene, who was receiving treatment by paramedics.

"He has been conveyed to Morriston Hospital by air ambulance. The extent of his injuries are unknown at this time. The court has been closed in order for enquiries to take place.

"Police are not looking to speak to anyone else in connection with this incident at this time."

A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Service said: "We were called at about 10.20am to reports of an incident at Haverfordwest Magistrates Court.

"The Wales Air Ambulance, two crews in emergency ambulances and an ambulance officer attended the scene and a man was airlifted to Morriston Hospital in Swansea with a serious injury."

Preseli Pembrokeshire MP Stephen Crabb said: The incident in Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court this morning is deeply disturbing.

"No one should be in a position to harm themselves or others in a court room. 

“I will be asking the Justice Secretary, Liz Truss MP, to look into today’s events and explain how the defendant was able to commit a serious act of violence against himself. Praise must go to the court staff and emergency services for their quick and professional response to the incident.”

An HM Courts and Tribunal Spokesperson said:

"A man has been taken to hospital following an incident at Haverfordwest Magistrates' Court on Wednesday 11 January. There were no injuries to staff or other court users. There is an ongoing police investigation so it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."