FRIENDS are trying to raise £20,000 to help a north Pembrokeshire family, whose eco home was destroyed by fire on New Year's Day (January 1).

In just over 24 hours, more than £10,000 has already been raised to help Simon and Jasmine Dale, and their two children.

The couple's home, which featured on Channel 4 show Grand Designs, was ravaged by the fire, with crews from Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service battling flames for six hours.

Jane Wells, who started the fund on the JustGiving website said: "Simon, Jasmine and their two children have been residents at Lammas eco village, Pembrokeshire, since the start of the project.

"They have been working on their family home for the last six years.

"This beautiful building was featured on Grand Designs last year.

"Sadly a fire started on New Year's Day and their beloved home was burned to the ground.

"Luckily no one was hurt but as you can imagine, the family are devastated."

Posting on its Facebook page, Lammas Community Hub said the cause was thought to be an electrical fire.

"Their huge greenhouse escaped, as did Simon's workshop, and there little roundhouse is still fine too," reads the post.

"Huge amount of work that went into the creation of the building, and the kids rooms, all destroyed."

Donations can be made here and also through Simon's website, which details the hard work which went into creating his beautiful family home.

Dai Swan, group manager for Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said crews were confronted by a house engulfed in flames on Monday.

He said the straw construction of the building made the fire difficult to extinguish as the material can easily reignite, but firefighters had managed to stop it spreading to a nearby greenhouse.

He added: "It's utterly heartbreaking for the crews seeing how much workmanship has gone into these [house] frames.

"Each piece of this building is bespoke, it's done to a beautifully high standard and to see it damaged by fire is just heartbreaking."