AN ELDERLY woman accidentally overdosed on prescription medication at her Crymych sheltered housing, an inquest heard.

Patricia Eileen Jones, 79, of Bro Preseli, Heol Parc y Ffair, died at Withybush hospital on November 22 of last year.

At the March 29 inquest, held at Milford Haven Town Hall, Coroner’s officer for Dyfed-Powys Police Jeremy Davies said widow Mrs Jones had taken medication for a long-term issue with depression for many years.

The inquest heard emergency services were called to Mrs Jones’ sheltered accommodation home late on November 21 following unconfirmed reports she had suffered a cardiac arrest.

She was taken to Withybush and sedated prior to a CT scan being performed.

She passed away shortly after 4am on November 22.

Mr Davies said Mrs Jones was fit and healthy, with no known medical history, other than her depression.

Staff at her sheltered housing home described her as a very independent, private person, and “a very chirpy lady who brought everyone together”.

The inquest heard Mrs Jones had been looking forward to visiting family members in London.

A post mortem report by Dr Petya Nadiva found the presence of prescription drugs antidepressant Imipramine and insomnia drug Temazepam in Mrs Jones’ system.

The Imipramine was at a level capable of causing toxicity, or fatality, particularly in the elderly, the inquest heard.

Coroner Mark Layton, recording a conclusion of a drug-related death, said to family members present: “People don’t stick to their prescribed doses, and that seems to be the problem here.”

He stressed the standard of proof for suicide was not reached.

“Your late mother was looking forward to lots of things in her life, and there was no note.

“I’m not satisfied here, it’s more likely to be an accidental overdose. The death was drugs-related; an overdose of prescription drugs.”