RYAN Scourfield scored on his debut for Narberth, however it was a baptism of fire in the Otter's first game of the WRU Cup, losing at home to Neath 7-19.

Scourfield's impressive debut was capped off with a try scored in the second half.

But it was too late for Sean Gale's side who conceded all their points to Neath in the first quarter of the match.

The Otters got off to a somewhat catastrophic start, conceding all Neath's points and falling 19-0 behind in the first 20 minutes.

A series of errors as well as mistakes led to Neath gaining a lead that was never recovered.

Narberth came back into the game and continually stretched Neath and were unlucky not to score on a few occasions.

The Otters were denied due to the combination of a lack of accuracy at crucial moments and the outstanding performance of the Neath defence.

It wasn't until the second half that Narberth broke their opposition and got over the try line, the hugely impressive Ryan Scourfield finishing off a great team try.

Narberth's young team played well in the second half and never gave up but Neath’s physicality and outstanding defence eventually took back control of the match and won the day.

Narberth's youth team had more success winning a nail biter against Crymych 20-21. Report by Rob Nicholas.

Previously, in this season’s opening fixture Crymych Youth beat Narberth by 50 points to nil.

Since that game the Narberth boys have worked hard in training and came into the return fixture on the back of three wins.

The weather was fine and sunny which contributed to a lively game. Crymych were unbeaten and the Narberth youth team knew that this game was going to be a stern test for the Otters.

The spectators at a sunny Parc Lloyd Thomas were treated to an excellent game of rugby with two committed teams throwing everything at each other .

Crymych lead throughout the match and entered the final quarter 20 pints to 7 up. But all was not lost. Narberth kept playing their rugby and two tries superbly converted by Charlie Phillips and Fraser Jones took the away team to a 20 - 21 lead.

There was one last attack by Crymych which fell desperately short leaving Narberth deserved winners.

There were tries for Brad Cramb, Harley Young and Jamie Goldsworthy, and strong performances from many players. Cian Rogers edged the Man of the Match award.

Summing up the afternoon’s rugby, the Narberth players, coaches and Otters supporters were overjoyed with the win and the massive turnaround in performance from four weeks ago.

WRU Championship Cup, District H1, Oct 9: Bargoed 54-25 Ystrad Rhondda; Maesteg Quins 22-10 Glamorgan; Narberth 7-19 Neath

WRU Plate, District H1, Oct 9: Milford Haven 26-33 Crymych; Pembroke 8-40 Aberystwyth; Tenby United 18-20 Whitland

WRU Bowl, District H1, Oct 9: Cardigan 13-12 Neyland; Haverfordwest 53-10 Pembroke Dock Quins; Llangwm 12-16 St Davids