SIMPLE errors led to Narberth having to put on a stunning fightback to come away from Glamorgan Wanderer’s Memorial Ground with a 24 all draw in the WRU Championship Cup. That’s according to Narberth coach Liam Gadd.

Narberth were behind the majority of the game in Cardiff and had to constantly show fight and determination to get back into the match.

Coach Liam Gadd said while errors seem to be plaguing the Otters at the moment the effort and commitment is there.

“Glamorgan Wanderers got off to a swift start down the wing through their number 14 and we conceded 7 points within the first 10 minutes.

“Those points were conceded through simple errors which seems to be the theme for us at the moment. Last week against Neath at home and then this week again. So to come away with a 24 -24 draw was due to a big effort from the guys.”

In the first 10 minutes, out of nothing, there was a Wanderers break down the left-wing leading to two missed tackles allowing the first score to go to the home side.

Jonathan Rogers kept Narberth in touch by kicking three penalties to go in at half time 12-9 behind.

The Wanderers maintained their lead going into the closing stages of the match 24-19 before a last gasp try by Tom Powell earned the Otters a share of the spoils.

They fought back,” said coach Gadd, “from 12 - nil, 12 - 3, 12 - 6 and then 12 - 9 at half-time.

“We got back into our stride in the second half as the final result shows. As a matter of fact we missed the last kick from out wide otherwise we would have come away with a win.

“We have plenty to work on for our next home game against Bargoed.

“They will be a tough side to beat. It is good to know there were some excellent performances from Tom Powell, Rhys Williams and too many others to mention.”

In Narberth’s other games the seconds played away at Haverfordwest where they lost 21-12.

Narberth youth match report compiled by coach Rob Nicholas.

On Saturday Narberth Youth travelled to play Neyland Youth.

Neyland came into the game unbeaten but were up against a slightly older Narberth team who were also unbeaten from four games.

Despite some determined tacking Neyland were unable to halt the Otters disciplined attacking and went in 35 - 0 down at half time.

In the second half some quick thinking by Neyland saw them score their lone try. However Narberth continued to move the ball well resulting in a 56 - 5 win.

Narberth try scorers: Hugo Kessels; Harry Harries; Charlie Phillips; Joe Davies Breeze (2); Owen Jones; Owen Llewellyn and Elliot Evans. All eight tries were converted by Charlie Phillips. Man of the Match went to Ioan Phillips.

Under-16s match report by coach Ian Hough

The last weekend’s rugby kicked off under the floodlights on a superb pitch at the Narberth RFC.

The Otters U16s hosted a strong Pembroke side on Friday night under the floodlights, with a depleted side due to injuries and absence and required the enigmatic Harvey Jones to return to the squad to boost the numbers.

Pembroke, a well drilled team, set about their work early with gusto but Narberth held strong with a good defensive effort with Aeron putting in massive tackles and Narberth putting Pembroke on the back foot. Young Jacob continued the same vein with some great hits, supported by the rest of the forwards to make a great contest at the breakdown.

A few tries from Pembroke rocked the Narberth defensive line with good quick hands from 13 put to the wings, exploring the sideways Otters defence. Narberth rallied late in the first half to slow the flowing attack, straightening and forcing hacking kicks.

The half-time break saw Narberth shore up the defence and slow down ball for Pembroke and from a kick off, Narberth chased hard turning over ball, receiving a quick tap penalty and an extra 10m, Aeron carried hard with support from Owain, Kryan, Josh and Jacob. Olly Hough quickly sniped at the base of the resulting ruck going over from 1m out.

This galvanised the team and Narberth pushed hard for the first 15mins of the 2nd half. With another stirling effort from Josh to carry hard from a flowing back move crossing the whitewash only for the try to be disallowed much to the Narberth supporters consternation.

Pembroke rallied and pushed on with several tries and eventually ran out comfortable winners; but the result was by no means a one-sided contest and Narberth certainly put in a better performance than their last outing after the long Covid lay off.