The £80 million scheme to improve the A40 between Llanddewi Velfrey and Redstone Cross is going ahead following confirmation by the deputy minister for climate change, Lee Waters, today, Wednesday October 20.

The statement follows press speculation that the scheme was within the scope of the review of road building projects as Wales looks forward to a net zero carbon future.

Responding to local MS Joyce Watson's question during the climate change, environment and infrastructure committee, Lee Waters MS confirmed:

“The road is out of scope of the review and the road will be going ahead.”

Speaking after the announcement, Eluned Morgan MS said: “Earlier in the summer, the local Tory MS and MP suggested that this scheme wasn’t going ahead because to quote a phrase, ‘diggers were not in the ground’ – which was a phrase originally coined by the minister to give a picture of how projects might be classified for review."

This led Lee Waters to give the first assurance that the scheme was still in the schedule

Eluned Morgan continued:

“Since then, it has become apparent that a significant sum of money has been spent, some £20 million. Given this project is supported by the European Union, we do not want to see a penny of that money lost to Wales because there is no assurance from the Tories in Westminster that we’ll receive anything like that level of funding through their levelling up agenda. In fact, the reality is, we will not.”

Cllr Vic Dennis, Labour councillor for Narberth Town, successfully campaigned with local Labour candidates to ensure the Redstone Cross junction was included in the initial scheme.

He said: “This confirmation from Lee Waters is most welcome. It confirms what we knew all along that this important piece of infrastructure for Pembrokeshire will be improved – for the thousands of people who use it each day for work, leisure and to attend vital appointments. It will be improved to enhance the village of Llanddewi Velfrey and of course, to make safe the dangerous junction at Redstone Cross where, sadly, lives have been lost over the years.

“The A40 is vital to the continued wellbeing of Pembrokeshire and these improvements are vital to making journeys safer.”