A BIT of quality by Harry Owen and an Adam Roscrow finish saw Haverfordwest's Nathaniel MG Cup run come to an end.

Just as things seemed to be on the up, a big quarter-final match seemed just the ticket for County. However their world came crashing down after the weekend heroics, with Cardiff Met hitting County with two quickfire second half goals which Wayne Jones' boys never recovered from.

First half: Danny Williams injured as Met have more of the play

Injury woes and player shortages had seemed to be easing for Wayne Jones with Toray Sisay back on the bench after his spell out with Covid, Kyle Patten back in the team after his suspension, and last weekend's match winner Jack Wilson able to play in his customary position on the wing instead of filling in at wing-back.

Another surprise admission was Wojciech Gajda, back between the sticks in place of Lee Idzi, who wasn't even in the squad.

It was Gajda who made the most notable contribution of the opening ten minutes, making a fingertip save high to his left after an acrobatic effort in the box by the Met's Harry Owen.

A warm and blustery night bought with it a buzz in the air, but it was Met who seemed to feed off this more.

A minute into kick-off Kurtis Rees pass in the middle of the park was intercepted allowing Met marksman Andrew Roscrow in on the right but his shot across goal went wide.

Ben Fawcett had a couple of sniffs at goal, the best of his early efforts being a volley from 18 yards that went wide.

Midway through the first half the game was marred by injury.

First Danny Williams went down and trudged round the field holding his hamstring, then moments later, from a Haverfordwest corner, a head collision left County's Alaric Jones and Met's Charles Corsby nursing injuries.

Jones was ok to continue but both Corsby and Williams' night was over, the latter's omission meaning an early return for star striker Sisay.

Sisay eased his way into the game, although being such a focal point it didn't take long for chances to befall him, a header and shot were snuffed out at point blank range from a corner on 40', ten minutes into the Spaniard's arrival.

Moments before that Roscrow showed some quality forward play to give himself space in the box, shrugging off the defender but shooting just wide.

The best bit of forward prowess was saved for the end of the half when Fawcett made a brilliant run in front of his man and flicked on a corner at the near post which was saved by Met's keeper Lang.

Second half: Two quick fire goals from Met ends County's cup ambitions

After a header by Fawcett that went just wide from a Wilson free-kick, County's world in this match imploded. Within the space of two minutes the Bluebirds found themselves two down.

The first goal was scored on 50', an excellent jinky run and finish from 18 yards low across Gajda by Harry Owen.

For the second Roscrow had all the time in the world in the Haverfordwest half as he rounded Gajda and put the ball in the net.

It could have got worse for County as first, good work by Kyle McCarthy and Owen, and half clearance by captain Dylan Rees, let Eliot Evans in who deflected the ball just wide. Then a brilliant double save from Gadja once again denied what was a now rampant Mets.

County needed some life zapped into them and that came in the form of Sisay whose low finish in the box was blocked on the line by two Mets defenders on the hour mark.

With the only real bit of quality in the match - Harry Owen - departed, the final quarter turned into a scrappy affair - something that suited the visitors.

Kurtis Rees picked up a yellow card and the only real quality came from Roscrow's shot on 79' that curled just over from thirty yards and an excellent save by Lang who dived to his right to push away a Fawcett attempt on 85'.

Haverfordwest AFC 0-2 Cardiff Met

Goalscorers: Owen 50', Roscrow 51',

Haverfordwest County: Gajda (GK), Patten, Scotcher, A Jones, Watts, K Rees (K Lewis 84'), Wilson, D Rees (C), Fawcett, Humphreys (K Lewis 66'), D Williams (Touray Sisay 28')

Subs: Le-Grice (GK), Touray Sisay, King, Davies, K Lewis

Cardiff Met: Lang (GK) (C), McCarthy, E Lewis, Price (J Davies 68'), E Evans, Roscrow, Corsby (Warre 27'), Owen (Warman 77'), Rees, J Evans, Craven

Subs: Manson (GK), Manson, Noad, J Davies, Warman, T Davies, Warre, Roberts

Referee: Ryan Kenny