HAVERFORDWEST County’s season is over after a 2-1 defeat at home to Cymru Premier play-off rivals Cardiff Metropolitan University at the weekend.

In what was a fascinating final day of the season, four teams were still in the running for a play-off place.

Aberystwyth and Connah’s Quay, who were playing each other, and Cardiff Mett and the Bluebirds were all gunning for seventh spot in the league.

At the Ogi Bridge Meadow Stadium, Ben Fawcett’s opener was cancelled out by a header from Joseph Evans and a whopping strike from Kyle McCarthy from 30 yards, with all the goals coming in the first half.

After the game Haverfordwest manager Nicky Hayen said that despite the result there was still a lot to look forward to for Bluebirds fans in the future.

“I think we showed great pace today,” said Hayen.

“We created chances, and scored a good goal, which we deserved at that moment.

"But then we conceded, and it is a little problem of this season that we start to doubt ourselves, and we were struggling in the final 15 minutes of the first half.

“In the second half we dominated again, but unfortunately it did not go in.”

Hayen, who recently signed a one year extension at the club, was positive about the future, saying he was delighted to be part of the ongoing project.

“Everyone has to be more intelligent yes, but we have a good foundation here,” said Hayen.

“Sometimes during games we are not consistent in putting on the pressure and falling back into the block.

"This allows other teams to use the space and this happened today, but we have a good foundation and everyone is on board.”

Just after the half hour mark Jazz Richards’ cross field freed Fawcett to finish emphatically – the striker’s first goal since his double against Cefn Druids on March 12.

Cardiff Mett responded minutes later when Evans climbed above captain Dylan Rees to head Cardiff level from a corner.

The winner followed a few minutes later, as a spectacular strike by Kyle McCarthy from 30 yards left Lee Idzi wih little chance of saving.

Haverfordwest had a golden opportunity to equalise in the final minutes of the game after a free-flowing move down the left wing gave Henry Jones the chance, but his header cannoned off the cross bar from six yards.

After the game Cardiff boss Christian Edwards said he was delighted with the way his team played.

“We were outstanding today,” Edwards told Sgorio.

“Our football club never knows when to give up and that is testament to the players and staff.

“We pressed Haverfordwest from the first and caused them problems.

"We know they have fantastic football players like Dylan Rees and Elliot Scotcher and we knew that if we stopped them we would win the game.”

In the other vital game Aberystwyth drew 1-1 with Connah’s Quay at Park Avenue, meaning Cardiff Met go through to the play-offs as Conference winners.

Haverfordwest finished the season in tenth place in the league.

Haverfordwest County starting XI: Idzi, Richards, Scotcher, Fawcett, H Jones, Wilson, D Rees (c), K Rees, Lewis, Patten, Davies

Substitutes: Le-Grice, Z Jones, A Jones, Shephard, George, Williams, Humphreys

Cardiff Met starting XI: Lang, Chubb, McCarthy, Lewis, E Evans, Baker (c), Roscrow, Owen, J Evans, Craven, Jones

Substitutes: Manson, Rees, Davies, Feltham, Lewis-Hillier, Humphries