Two people have died and two more are in hospital following a crash on one of the main roads into Pembrokeshie.

The A477 between Red Roses and Llanddowror was closed in both directions throughout yesterday evening, Thursday June 13,and into the early hours of this morning, Friday June 14, as a result of the two-vehicle collision.

As well as police, three Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) crews, the Welsh Ambulance Service and the Wales Air Ambulance attended the scene.

One of the vehicles involved had left the road and one of the casualties had to be cut free from their vehicle by the fire crews.

AA Roadwatch reported that the subsequent road closure for crash investigation work took place between the Llanddowror turn-off and the BP petrol station.

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesman said last night: “Dyfed-Powys Police is in attendance at a two-vehicle road traffic collision which occurred at about 4pm today, Thursday 13th June 2024.

"The A477 between Llanddowror and Red Roses remains closed with diversions in place.

"Sadly, two people have died and two others remain in hospital.

"Road users are advised to avoid the area and take an alternative route if possible.

It is anticipated that the road will remain closed for some time.”

Officers reported this morning that the road is now open, and thanked drivers for their patience during the closure period.

Dyfed-Powys Police have been contacted for further information on the incident.

A fire service spokesman said that crews from Whitland, Carmarthen and Narberth spent two hours at the scene.

He added: "Crews responded to a road traffic collision involving two private motor vehicles, with one of the vehicles leaving the roadway. 

"Crews utilised e-draulic cutting equipment and small gear to extricate one casualty from one of the vehicles.

"Sadly, two casualties have died and two others remain in hospital.

"This incident required a multi-agency response, with Dyfed-Powys Police, the Ambulance Service and Air Ambulance also in attendance.

"MAWWFRS crews left the scene at 6.03pm."