Fourth Division Cup final:

Monkton Swifts 2nds 1-0 Pennar Robins 3rds

A clinical 15th-minute strike by Luke Hendry sealed victory for a strong Monkton Swifts second string over his former club Pennar Robins in this entertaining local derby battle for the Fourth Division Cup Final.

Hendry was given just enough space to dink the ball over advancing Robins’ keeper Jamie Protheroe after good work by Jordan Kilby and man of the match Liam Butland – and gave the Swifts revenge for a 3-2 league defeat two weeks earlier, the first in two seasons for Andrew Webb’s boys as they seek a second successive section double and promotion.

But it was the Robins who had the first glimmer of a chance when Cameron Brunton and Craig Asparassa combined on the left but Jack Sullivan was unable to finish off a difficult high volley.

But the Swifts served notice of intent at the other end as Butland put a free kick just over the bar and Robins’ keeper Protheroe made a double save to deny Hendry before the striker finally claimed his quality goal to put the Swifts ahead.

The Robins fought back from a Marco Valentine free kick headed on by Carl John but Marcus Blair rifled his shot the wrong side of the bar as William Wallace came quickly off his line.

But Monkton always looked more likely to add other goals as they had Tom Baldry, and Connor Reed strong at the back and Craig Meir calling the midfield shots. Veteran striker Wayne Boswell showed he still has pace when he broke clear but put chances over the bar in one-on-one situations, as did Liam Butland.

Other Swifts’ chances came and went so the scoreline remained at 1-0 at half time.

The second half followed a similar pattern as Monkton pressed forward but the Robins always looked dangerous on the break via Asparassa and Brunton but rarely threatened to get that vital strike on target.

Swifts’ Rhys Davies rapped the near post and after another Protheroe save it looked as if Monkton had finally grabbed their second but a low drive by Davies hit the side netting.

As both teams tired on the splendid surface at the Conygar Bridge Meadow Stadium there were three bookings by referee Angus Scourfield, whose quiet control was immaculate, but the scoreline remained the same until the final whistle and Keith Scourfield presented the trophy to the delighted Swifts side, whose sights are now set on promotion and eventually more silver if they can achieve the double!

Monkton Swifts 2nds: William Wallace, Ryan Eynon, Tom Baldry, Connor Rees, Dan Butland, Rhys Davies, Corey Meir Jordan Kilby, Luke Hendry, Liam Butland, Wayne Boswell. Subs: Ryan Boswell, Dan Mendin, Bryan Davis.

Pennar Robins 3rds: Jamie Protheroe, Jack Sullivan, Dean Jones, Nial O’Connor, Nial Brunton, Marco Valentine, Neil Hughes, Carl John, Marcus Blair, Craig Asparassa, Cameron Brunton. Subs: Max Hunter, Leon Stuart, Gethin Bradley.

Referee: Angus Scourfield.

Assistants: Keith Amos & Bradley Flood.

4th Official: Dan Rees.