WRU Bowl Round 1: Cardigan 45-10 Bynea

AFTER two narrow defeats, The Teifisiders got their first win of the campaign and it was easier than expected against a Bynea team who have started with two wins from two in Division Three West B.

The home side started at a real tempo and cruised into a 14-0 lead, as centre Marcus Castle cut over before winger Dan Purnell also scored. No 10 Iwan John converted both.

Bynea responded though as No 9 Mark Davies sniped over and Jack Morgan added a second converted try - but home player coach Colin Davies restored order before the break with a try from No 8 to make it 19-10.

And the second half was one way traffic as Davies got a second try, with full back and captain John Lumb, winger Geraint Williams and replacement No 10 Tom Dunn also going over.

John (2) and Emyr Harries added three more conversions between them - and Cardigan will now take confidence into their Division Three West A  trip to Tregaron this Saturday.

New Dock Stars 41-29 Llangwm 

THE Wasps went with a full squad to Llanelli and played their part in a cracking tie.

The visitors were in the game throughout, and were denied what should have been a crucial penalty try for a deliberate knock on as they trailed 41-29 late on.

They were 19-14 down half time after tries from winger Spencer Rourke and No 8 Josh Hicks, with No 10 Luke Hayman converting both.

Hayman reduced the deficit with an early penalty in the second half, and after The Stars responded to move 33-17 in front, Louis Murphy crossed for The Wasps, Hayman again adding the extras.

And even late on with the score at 41-24, Llangwm didn’t give up as Hicks scored his second.

But it was the home side who went through, with Jamie Gregory (2), Luke Morris, Dillan Jones (2), and Phil Vincent their try scorers. Jason Baxter added four conversions and a penalty.

“It was an excellent cup tie and cracking advert for Division Three rugby,” said Llangwm team manager Richard Scriven.

Llangwm squad: Roy Venables, Dan Murphy, Declan Coles, Gethin Lewis, Gavin Jones, Dave Reynolds, Rhys Thomas, Ian Griffiths, James Lewis, Josh Hicks, Jamie Picton, Johny Lloyd, Luke Hayman, Yale Grice, Spencer Rourke, Dan Morgan, Ben Goodridge, Ewan Griffiths, Louis Murphy, Dan Ridge.

Penygroes 19-21 Laugharne

A second half penalty try gave Laugharne the cup win they deserved in Penygroes.

An early penalty from Callum McKenzie put Penygroes ahead but centre Tom Jameson turned the tide with an interception try he then converted.

He also added the extras when Tom Waters crossed as The Cocklemen lad 14-3, but the Llanelli side stormed back before the break via two more McKenzie penalties, and he then converted a drive over try from Edwin Thomas as a team led 16-14 half time.

McKenzie added another three points in the second half but the away scrum became dominant as the game wore on, and sure enough, it was that five metre platform which saw the Laugharne pack force a penalty try.

It proved the winning score as skipper Carl Smith and co held out to go through - “It was a tough game against a very physical side,” he said afterwards.

Aberaeron 21-17 Milford Haven

Milford Haven paid the penalty, literally, for indiscipline in Aberaeron as 21 boots from the boot of home No 10 Rhodri Jenkins sent his side through.

In a scrappy contest, The Mariners played more of the rugby and crossed in the first half through Lee Riley, with James Trueman converting, but Jenkins landed nine first half points as Aberaeron led  at half time.

And the second half followed a similar pattern, with Jenkins successful with four more penalty kicks at goal - while winger Trueman kept Milford in it with a try he converted and also added a penalty.

That left it 21-17 and Milford coach Nathan Williams made a difference as he entered the fray late on, but his side wasted a series of late chances, including a last ditch five metre lineout, and Aberaeron held on.

One positive for the visitors however was the display of young centre Garin Gardner, who was their standout player after replacing injured skipper Jamie Lewis in the starting XV.

And while Milford didn’t take a win from Mid-Wales, they did take home a new set of shirts after mistakenly picking up the home side’s kit!

Milford Haven: Lee Riley, James Trueman, Garin Gardner, Dan Jenkins, Leigh Devonald, Steve Martin, Dan McClelland, Adam Rees, Luke Ryan, Darren Lewis, Chris Hall, Brandon Cooper, Ben Groves, Dai Sweeny, Dewi Williams. Replacements: Nathan Williams, Tristan Mcsparron, Ben Johnson, Mark Wonnacott.

Haverfordwest 69-5 Pantyffynnon

Haverfordwest coach Steve Barnett admitted it was a little too easy as his side breezed past Pantyffynnon, who only started with 13 players and were saved by the referee blowing up early after they’d dropped down to 11.

The home side led 43-0 half time and eventually won 69-5, with No 10 Craig Barnett notching 29 points via three tries and seven conversions.

Other tries came from hooker Jamie Zambas, full back Rhys Baker (2), wingers Josh Atherton and Ben Skudder, Dan Richards and Gareth Owens.

The visitors did cross early in the second half through Terry Jenkins, but it was a simple win for The Blues.