Fourth Division Cup final: Cosheston 1-0 Hundleton 2nds

Cosheston completed the double of Fourth Division league and cup winners with a hard fought win over a Hundleton Seconds’ outfit which never gave up battling and in the final ten minutes had their opponents’ supporters biting their fingernails.

In league fixtures between the teams this season Cosh had won 3-0 away and 7-0 at home but any thoughts of another easy success were dispelled as early as the second minute when a poor back pass by a Cosheston defender had keeper James Reed scurrying to divert the danger.

End to end action:

But Cosh quickly settled into a rhythm, with player-manager Gavin Wickland and skipper Lee Dignan running the midfield – and a cross from Bernd Shilke hit the top of the crossbar and Nathan Ferrier fired shot wide.

As play swung back and for a Scott Brunton volley from the edge of the box brought a good save by Cosh keeper James Reed, with Robson Walkey firing the rebound well over the bar – and at the other end Dalton Boswell was put through but was denied when Steff Williams made a good save with his legs. 

Chances come and go:

At a corner Cosheston defender Simon Lewis joined his front men and had a low shot blocked, whilst Nathan Ferrier continued to pose problems for the Hundleton back four with his pace but placed his left-foot cross shot marginally wide of the far post.

Hundleton also had chances before left back Jonathan Rogers headed over the bar and it was still 0-0 after 45 minutes well refereed by Alan Boswell.

Cosheston start well after interval before Simon strikes:

Cosheston made the better start to the second half as Nathan Ferrier featured on the left but fired wide of the target – and his namesake Stuart also got involved but saw his shot deflected wide.

But that set up what proved to be the only goal of the game as a Nathan Ferrier corner was swung in to the far post where Simon Lewis' header was too powerful for Steffan Williams to keep out.

There was almost a repeat soon afterwards as Ferrier’s corner again found Lewis at the far post but this time it was blocked – and Hundleton went close soon afterwards but Craig Manning’s drive was stopped on the line by Stuart Ferrier and scrambled clear.

More chances go abegging:

Both sides had other chances before there was an almighty scramble in the Hundleton box where Dignan’s toe-poke hit the post and three other attempts were somehow scrambled away before Scott Brunton broke clear at the other end but struck a shot wide. 

It marked the start of a frenetic last ten minutes where Hundleton sought desperately for an equaliser – and came so close with four minutes left as a Lewis Barnikel shot was deflected inches the wrong side of the woodwork off a relieved Sam Richards.

Gavin Wickland (Cosheston Player/Manager): “We are really chuffed to complete the double by beating a strong Hundleton side which pushed us all the way.

"We have only been going as a club for two years so after winning promotion last season it is amazing to do so well this year. We are a close-knit group who play for each other under the captaincy of Lee Dignan and I say thanks to all the players, committee and families for their total support.”

Cosheston: James Reed, Sam Richards, Simon Lewis, Darren Mason, Stuart Ferrier, Bernd Shilke, Gavin Wickland, Lee Dignan, Nathan Ferrier (Liam Elliott 63), Corey Edge (Pakavatch Leghai 90), Dalton Boswell (Ryan Bowen 68).

Hundleton 2nds: Steffan Williams, Rowan James (Sam Blunsden 62), Marc Edwards, Lee Callan (Alex Hay 72), Jonathan Rogers, Robson Walkey, Ashley Waterman, Scott Brunton, Louis Barnikel, Thomas Wood (Dan Smith 90), Craig Manning.

Referee: Alan Boswell.
Assistants: Steve Badham and Keith Amos.
Fourth Official: Jeff Hurton.