Division 1: Lawrenny (173-9) drew with Neyland (242-5)

We still have two weeks of the season to go, but the Division 1 title has already been decided after a century from Ross Hardy led Neyland to a big winning draw over Lawrenny on Saturday.

The result moved Sean Hannon’s side 68 points clear of their hosts on Saturday and they now cannot be caught regardless of what happens in the next two weeks.

“It’s a bit of a relief to win it with a little to go,” Hannon told Telegraph Sport.

“There’s no pressure on the final two games now. I think it’s a fair reflection on how the season has gone, our players have stepped up to the mark every time questions were asked. 

“We bounced back from the Saundersfoot loss by winning 10 league games in a row before Saturday."

And he admitted the signing of their match winner at Lawrenny had been crucial.

“Getting Ross was a turning point,  it gave more competition for places and the boys knew they had to perform.

“That said I think it’s been a real team effort this season, a couple of stand out performances with bat and ball but on the whole everyone has contributed.”

Neyland were asked to bat first by Lawrenny skipper Joe Kidney in tough conditions and they lost their key first three of Nick Koomen (20), Patrick Bellerby (32) and Ashley Sutton (12) – but then Ross Hardy joined the fray in the 23rd over at No 5 and completely changed matters with a superb 102 not out.

Hardy smashed eight fours and eight sixes and found a willing ally in No 6 Henry Durrant, who had 38 runs out of a partnership of 114.

Rob Williams grabbed 1-28 and Ryan Morton was the pick of the Lawrenny bowlers with 4-32, a haul that was all the more creditable since the bulk of his spell was up the hill and into the wind.

When Lawrenny batted second their top scorer was Steve Lewis (52) and there were cameos from James Buckle (13), Kidney (13), Thomas Cole (28) and Rob Williams (23).

But such was the pressure exerted by the Neyland fielders in support of Geraint Rees (4-32), Hardy (1-18), Durrant (1-32), Andrew Miller (1-23) and Nathan Banner (1-38) the home side didn't ever look like threatening the total.

Umpires: Trefor Evans & Dave Brandon.
Scorers: Malcolm Thomas & John Laugharne.