Pembrokeshire KO Cup quarter final: Whitland 8-13 Tenby United 

Tenby United produced an excellent all-round performance at Parc Llwyn Ty Gwyn to create the shock result of the round as they dumped holders Whitland out of the KO Cup.

The Seasiders won by only five points but were better than that until The Borderers reduced the deficit from the final move of the match – showing much more composure in possession and never letting Whitland settle.

Whitland head coach Gareth Bennett made a lot of changes from the previous week but it was The Seasiders who seemed more up for the battle.

Half backs Ben Pugh and Lloyd Thomas cleverly utilised the breeze in the first half and No 10 Thomas landed a penalty from 40 metres – and The Borderers failed to cash in on several periods of pressure.

Young Whitland hooker Iwan Lewis seemed to finally cross from a lineout drive in the corner but referee Michael Bulpitt was well-placed to rule off side.

And then The Seasiders grabbed the opening try right on half time from a clever cross-kick by Thomas to winger Matthew Davies, who sidestepped John Thomas and found No 8 Jack Broadhurst in support near the 22 – and full back Yannic Parker popped up to take the scoring pass. Thomas added the easy extras.

The Borderers then had the wind at their backs but home frustration grew as they took too many wrong options, eventually managing three points from a simple Geraint Jones penalty, but Tenby had a penalty by No 10 Thomas to make it 13-3.

Assistant coach Nico Setaro joined the fray and tried to call the shots for The Borderers but Tenby replacements Rob Luly and especially Will Swales were effective in helping their pack in breaking up play and made sure that their side were winning loose ball.

With time running out, and Whitland desperately trying to get back into it, Tenby flanker Luke Hansford tainted a hard working display by being yellow carded, and a cross kick by Setaro found James Stephenson and the centre crossed in the corner.

He failed to drop-kick the conversion but the final whistle came straight afterwards.

Jonathan Evans: (Tenby United coach): “We have worked very hard in recent weeks and it really showed here because I felt we were the team which appeared to want the win more.

“We didn’t give an inch in the set-pieces and worked really well in the loose thanks to our tireless pack.”

Whitland: Ollie Hughes: Josh Thomas; Jonathan Thomas; James Stephenson; Scott Candler: Geraint Jones; Josh Thomas: Aaron Mayne; Iwan Lewis; Tom Finucane: Courtney Bowman; Raff Williams: James Thomas; Ryan Morgan; Jack Mason. Replacements: Marc Jones; Jamie Styles; Ben Kirk; Adam Davies; Nico Setaro.

Tenby United: Yannic Parker: Mattie Davies; Jimmy Davies; Andrew Cooke; Andrew Quill: Lloyd Thomas; Ben Pugh: Rob Clark; Jim Brace; Ethan Morgan: Tom Barrass; Wyndham Williams: Jack Brown; Luke Hansford; Jack Broadhurst. Replacements: Rob Luly; Will Swales; Parsley Blue; Luke Dedman; Calum Serafino; Nicky Guymer.

Referee: Michael Bulpitt (Swansea)