West Wales Cup Round 3: Fishguard Sports 0-4 Penlan Club

For 45 minutes it had all the makings of a difficult cup tie for Penlan Club, but by full time they were comfortable as they made the last 16 of the West Wales Cup at Fishguard.

They led 1-0 at the break, perhaps fortuitously so, thanks to a Luke Edwards penalty but then further goals from Darren Rowe (2) and Luke Dallin underlined a clinical second half display.

The pitch at Tregroes, which has taken a hammering from heavy rain in recent weeks, made it tough to knock the ball about and it made for a scrappy opening which Fishguard edged.

Brian Kinsella's side made life difficult for the visitors and after an opening half hour where chances were limited, twice went close to going ahead.

First a Niall Kinsella free kick was headed down by Steve Lewis into the path of Lewis Banks, but he contrived to fire over from point blank range.

Moments later Danny Morgan fired inches wide from the edge of the area but Penlan seemed to get a grip of the conditions before the break, and duly went ahead 41 minutes in.

Home centre back Billy Moore caught Carl Mucha in the area, and from the penalty that followed Luke Edwards sent Dean Hopson the wrong way.

Then in the final seconds of the half came a pivotal moment when Kinsella's superbly struck 30 yard shot seemed destined for the roof of the net, only for Penlan keeper Nicky Lewis to brilliantly tip it onto the bar.

And in the second half the Swansea side, regularly among the favourites in this competition, took control.

Two minutes in Darren Rowe beat Hopson from 25 yards with a vicious strike, and then Paul Thomas made the tie safe when he turned in Luke Dallin's cross.

And then with Fishguard tiring, a dangerous ball in from Edwards set up Rowe for his second goal and it was job done for Penlan.

Fishguard Sports: Dean Hopson, Tom Merry, Patrick Hughes, Karl Hedley, Billy Moore, Ieuan Llewellyn, Niall Kinsella, Lewis Banks, Danny Morgan, Steve Lewis, Danny Hopkin. Subs: Jake Booth, Tom Lawrence, Matt Lewis.