Alec Colley Cup quarter final: Neyland (103-7) lost to Carew (106-6) by 4 wickets

It was Haydn Shapcott and Dai Rees who held their nerve as Carew moved into the semi finals by knocking out holders Neyland.

Chasing 104 to win, the seventh wicket pair put on 34 to get The Rooks over the line with five balls to spare.

After losing the toss, the hosts were stuck in and fell to 38-3 as Rhys Grigg showed his potential with the new ball - clean bowling Lewis Page (0) and having Gregg Miller caught by Nick Scourfield after he'd raced to 21 with four boundaries.

Kerry Waters removed No 3 Will Hughes (6), who nicked behind to Morgan Grieve, and wickets continued to fall steadily with Gavin Rowland (8) and home skipper Paul Miller (3) both falling to Barry Evans - thanks to a couple of catches from Waters.

But Filigi Varghese and Lyn Rees gave Neyland hope, the former making 37 in 38 balls before also edging to Grieve off Simon Wood, who also clean bowled Jamie Smith without scoring.

But Veteran Rees was as steady as ever with 17 not out, and Gary Lloyd (4 not out) joined him late on as Neyland posted a modest, but competitive, 103-7.

For Carew, Grigg finished with 2-31, Wood 2-24, Waters 1-20 and skipper Evans 2-28.

But things looked in the balance when the visitors slipped to 55-5.

Openers Brian Hall (19) and Nick Scourfield (18) both got starts with three boundaries each before falling to Tom Pritchard – with Hall caught by Paul Miller and Scourfield by his brother Paul.

Pritchard also clean bowled Ash Smith without scoring to take 3-13 ion five overs, while Jamie Smith (1-30) had Robbie Hicks (2) caught by Filigi Varghese – and then when Grigg (2) was run out by Gregg Miller Neyland had real hope.

Shapcott and Wood steadied matters though, taking the score to 78-5 before the latter was skittled by Varghese for 16 (two fours).

But Shapcott kept calm to finish 18 not out (two fours) and with four needed off the final over, Rees took Varghese (1-34) to the fence off the first ball to make an unbeaten 17 off just 12 balls.

It meant a final four place for The Rooks – who will now be away to Llangwm. The latter couldn’t prepare a pitch before their clash with Whitland yesterday, but after switching venues to Oatfield Park, Burton The Borderers declared they were unable to field a side and Llangwm were given a walkover.

Umpires: Steve Blowes and Nigel Richards.

Scorers: John Laugharne and Chelsea Morris.