Narberth travelled to fourth placed Dunvant on Saturday expecting a tough game as the home team had only lost one match at Broadacre all season.

The Otters shot out of the blocks and within ten minutes were 14 points up after tries from centre Ilan Phillips and prop Sean Janes both converted by fly half Jonathan Rogers. Dunvant eventually settled into the game and after a period of sustained pressure close to the Otters line, the home team’s winger crossed in the corner for an unconverted try to bring the score back to 5-14.

Western Telegraph: Action from a line outAction from a line out (Image: Myrddin Dennis)

An infringement at a scrum saw Narberth awarded a penalty which Rogers kicked to extend the lead to 5-17. Dunvant were now retaining possession of the ball and spent a considerable amount of time attacking close to the Otters try line and only dogged defence by the visitors was keeping them out. Eventually Narberth conceded a penalty which was kicked by the Dunvant centre to bring the half time score to 8-17 in favour of the Otters.

Within five minutes of the restart a break around the blind side of a scrum saw scrum half Lewys Gibby charging downfield. When confronted by the last line of defence he passed inside to flanker Tom Powell who ran in under the posts for a try converted by Rogers (8-24). Shortly afterwards, another break by Gibby saw the ball moved quickly to wing Dean James who beat two opponents and forced his way over the line wide out to score an unconverted try (8-29).

Western Telegraph: Dunvant tacklingDunvant tackling (Image: Myrddin Dennis)

Dunvant refused to give up and came straight back at the visitors when after a catch and drive at a lineout close to the Otters line their scrum half dived over in the corner for an unconverted try (13- 29). Within ten minutes Narberth replied using a similar tactic when replacement hooker Ricky Guest forced his way over the line from a rolling maul for a further try converted by Rogers (13-36). Dunvant continued to battle and attacked at every opportunity. Once again they managed to put their wing into space and he sped over in the corner for another Dunvant unconverted try (18-36).

Western Telegraph: Narberth were strong in attackNarberth were strong in attack (Image: Myrddin Dennis)

In an exciting match with both teams throwing the ball about, the Otters succeeded in scoring two further tries. One scored by replacement scrum half Alex Williams when he forced his way over the try line wide out which was converted by full back Ianto Griffiths and the other from a move which originated well inside the Otters 22m line and after inter-passing between backs and forwards the ball was eventually passed to replacement wing Rhys Harris who jinked inside the final defender and scored the seventh and final try which brought up a final score of 18-48 in favour of the Otters. No.8 Roy Osborn was named Narberth man of the match for his tireless work in both attack and defence throughout the match.