A PEMBROKE Dock man and his Pembroke fiancé, stuck in the Philippines during the ongoing coronavirus crisis, are expected to arrive safely back in Britain tonight, April 7.

Billy Wood and Maisy Owen, both 24, launched a desperate plea last month to come home from the tourist destination of Cebu last month, with many flights cancelled due to travel restrictions, and when available, going for huge amounts of money, and subject to many cancellations.

Billy previously told the Western Telegraph: “So far, we have over £2,000 in flights tied up that we are not sure if we can even get back. We just want some pressure on the government to start helping us. The embassy over here is just relying on the Filipino authorities to arrange everything.

“They've got to step in! We don't even want free flights, just flights. Many airlines at home are struggling surely the government can get in contact with them and point then in our direction.”

Billy’s mum Sarah, desperately seeking their return, had grown ever more fearful following reports Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte had warned that anyone violating the country’ coronavirus lockdown measures could be shot.

Last week, Sarah, who said she has received tremendous support from MP Simon Hart’s office, said: “Shoot people dead, oh my god that has blown my mind. I’m running out of options. What is needed from the government is some sort of timescale for flights. I was told the deal had been done with airlines and it was down to them to sort. Billy and Maisy’s last slightest option has now been exhausted. Airline no longer operating.”

While all seemed lost, Sarah finally had the much-awaited and hoped-for news the couple would soon be home safe, with an expected arrival at Heathrow at 7pm tonight.

Speaking last night, Sarah said: “They are booked on a flight for tomorrow. So, I have everything crossed. I am going to get them and I will self-isolate on my return. I cannot tell you how happy we all are. Will not believe it until they board though.

“They booked onto the flights the government set up. We have been waiting for 24 hours for confirmation that they got on.

“There has been uproar over price, but to be honest I for one do not care about that. They are lucky because the government has said these will be the only planes they send. He has transport booked to get to the airport and an official letter from the embassy to get through check points. Seriously hoping nothing goes wrong.

“I am not going to believe it until they are on the plane.”

Speaking this morning, Sarah said: “All gone to plan, and they are on their last flight home. I’m so happy.”