The attractive small town of Newport was once a Norman settlement in the heart of the Welshry. Its history dates back to prehistoric times as is evident in the stone tombs or cromlechs at Pentre Ifan.
The castle, now converted to a private home, contrasts with the fine Georgian buildings constructed when the lucrative herring trade was at its peak.
Traeth Mawr offers one of the Pembrokeshire's finest and safest bathing beaches. There is a nine-hole golf course in the adjoining dune complex. The Newport bridge crossing the Nevern was built in 1894, the stepping stones previously used may be seen at low tide. The walk along the cliffs to Ceibwr Bay is rewarded with superb views.
Nevern is home to an interesting motte and bailey castle positioned on the river above the hamlet. The grouping of church, vicarage, school, bridge and inn and the fields and paddocks are essentially part of the original Norman settlement. In the grounds of the Norman church stands the large stone Cross of St Brynach. Dating back to the 10th century, it is inscribed in both Latin and Ogham. The famous bleeding yew is also worth visiting in the churchyard.