A man has been arrested after three pet dogs suffered a terrible death after being left in a hot vehicle in the car park of a Pembrokeshire tourist attraction.
Today's (Wednesday) print edition of the Western Telegraph revealed how the three labradors were discovered dead by their holidaymaker owners when they returned to the car after visiting Folly Farm.
The incident - described by the RSPCA as a 'horrible tragedy' - occurred on Tuesday afternoon of last week, which saw bright sunshine after a cloudy start to the day.
The distraught owners of the animals contacted police when they returned to their car at 6.30pm.
A police spokesman said: "Officers attended and recovered the bodies of the three dogs.A 50-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of causing animal suffering/cruelty and has been bailed pending further enquiries."
Folly Farm's managing director, Chris Ebsworth said that the situation was 'very tragic' and served as an important reminder as to why dogs should never be left unattended in a car.
He added: "Due to the number of farm and zoo animals we have at Folly Farm, we are unable to welcome dogs onto the park (with the exception of guide dogs). We discourage visitors from bringing
their dogs by stating on our website and in our brochure that they will not be permitted onto the park."
Following the incident, the RSPCA is once again urging pet owners not to forget the welfare of their animals in hot weather.
The temperature inside a vehicle can soar to 47 degrees within an hour, when the outside temperature is just 22 degrees.
Said the RSPCA's director of communications, David Bowles: "Most people seem to know the 'don't leave dogs in hot cars' message, but I think tjhey just don't think anything bad will happen to their pets, particularly if they're just leaving them for a few minutes."
Hot conservatories, outbuildings or gardens without shade can also trigger heatstroke in pets, which in extreme instances, can result in coma or death.