William Wickland [Billy]


A large gathering of family and friends attended the funeral of William Wickland at St. Marys Church Tenby, and at the crematorium in Narberth. Billy, as he was fondly known, died peacefully at Withbush Hospital on December 26th, aged 95.

Billy was born in Tenby at St David’s Cottage, Lower Frog Street on the 2nd June 1916. He was a member of a very old Tenby family and loved to spend his youth out fishing on his grandfather’s boat and swimming and playing down on the iron bar beach, which he often described as the best beach in the world.

He started his working life as an electrician working first for Wards [later WE Carew] in Tudor Square, Tenby.

He met and married a Saundersfoot girl, Kathleen Elizabeth James [Kitty] and settled down to family life. His first son John, was born in 1939. This peaceful family life was soon to be torn apart by the outbreak of World War 2.

At the outbreak of World War 2 he joined the army and was attached to the REME, where he saw active service in Europe. He always spoke of the kindness he received from the various nationals he came in contact with, particularly the Dutch people.

He always remarked how lucky he was not to have been killed or severely wounded during his war time service [he received a leg injury when he and the other troops were blown out of the back of the lorry when a German dive bomber attacked the troop convoy making its way to the beaches at Dunkirk].

Billy spent his birthday on Dunkirk beach sheltering from the mayhem all around him, his great comfort was looking at family photos, which he always took with him. He was among the last of the troops to be evacuated safely from the beach. He later took part in the D-day landings and once again counted his blessing for not becoming a casualty of war.

After the war he returned to Tenby, which he so loved, and resumed his family life. Shortly their second son Haydn was born in 1947.

Billy joined the South Wales Electricity Board-SWEB- and soon became a much-respected electrician within the community.

After several years working for the SWEB he set up in business. Later he was asked to form a new company and became the manager of KP Contractors.

He always spoke of the wonderful people he met and befriended over the many years working at Kiln Park and further afield. When he retired he was well into his eighties.

Throughout his life Billy loved rugby and was a loyal supporter of Tenby United. He used to travel on the supporters bus to all of the matches and delighted in taking his grand-children and later on his great-grand children to the matches. Billy loved the company of people and greatly enjoyed the social side of Rugby, and always spoke of the fun he had after the matches and how he was "looked after" by fellow supporters and players, who always made sure he got home safely after a good night out, particularly if Tenby had won their game.

Billy had a great sense of humour and was always ready for a laugh. He was later honoured by Tenby United by being presented with a Life Member Gold Card which he used to proudly show his family and friends.

The bearers were Dai Robins, Les [Lesley] Tovey, Peter Edward and Pat Rees. The coffin was draped with the Tenby United Rugby Flag and was escorted out of town by players both past and present as well as committee members, which shows how highly respected Billy was held by all the club members. There was also a minutes silence at the rugby pitch before the start of their next home game. Billy would have been so proud of this tribute paid to him.

Billy was predeceased by his wife Kitty, sister Dorothy, his grandsons Alan, Andrew and great-grandson Maddocks.

The principle mourners were John and Haydn [sons]; John’s wife Christine; Julie, Michelle, Katie, Phillip and Tim Parry (grandchildren); Michelle’s husband Jason, and Phillip’s partner Kelly; Jenni, Kim and Chris (great grandchildren) as well as 13 other great grandchildren and five great great grandchildren.

The service was conducted by the Reverend Andrew Davis. Dr. John Harrison played the organ, so beautifully. The eulogy was read by Jason and was very touching.

After cremation, interment took place at the garden of remembrance at St Mary Church, Tenby.

The funeral was directed by Richard Rossiter of Mike Rossiters of Tenby.

There were family flowers only with donations, if so desired, in memory of Billy, to Ty Hafan Children’s Hospice care of Mike Rossiters of Tenby.

Mrs Gloria Diane Van-De-Cappelle (nee Mattson)


The death occurred at Withybush Hospital after a long battle with ill health of Mrs Gloria Diane Van-De-Cappelle (nee Mattson) of Scotchwell View, Prendergast, Haverfordwest.

Gloria left school at the age of 15 and started emplyment at Woolworths and the county cinema. She later married and moved to Gosport returning to Haverfordwest later in life.

Gloria was very artistic and enjoyed various crafts when in better health. She was well known for catering carnival floats for ScotchwellView. Later in her life she was delighted to become a grandmother to Jordan and Shannon, with whom she was devoted.

She had been divorced for many years and was predeceased by her son Jason and brother Brian.

The family left to mourn and principal mourners were Lisa (daughter); Jordan and Shannon (grandchildren); Peter and Margaret (brother and sister-in-law); Susan (sister); Mandy and Derek (sister and brother-in-law); Diane, David, Tracey, Donna, Craig, Paul, Sarah and Jenny (nieces and nephews); Wenda. Alan, David and Flo (aunts and uncles); Alison (cousin) and various other members of the family too numerous to mention.

The funeral service was held at Parc Gwyn Crematorium and was officiated by Canon Geoffrey Gwyther.

The bearers were Peter Mattson (brother); Derek Lewis (brother-in-law); Craig Mattson (nephew) and Trevor Thomas (nephew-in-law).

Donations in lieu to the Autism Centre, Bush School, Pembroke Dock may be sent to Miss C Mathias, 8 Min y Llan, Letterston SA62 5SP.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Tom Newing and Sons, Milford Haven.

Mrs M.E.G. Lewis


Megan Eleanor Griffith Lewis passed away peacefully at her home "Woodlands" on January 19th, aged 86 years.

Megan was born in June 1925 in "The Lodge", Begelly. She attended Begelly Primary School and later Narberth Grammar School. During this time Megan loved competing in Eisteddfodau singing and playing the piano, frequently winning many of these competitions. She attended Sardis Congregational Chapel where she played the organ for many years.

At the age of 16, Megan started work at Kilgetty Post Office and two years later transferred to St Clears Post Office. Whilst living in St Clears, Megan took part in many operatic performances and welcome-home concerts for the troops, often taking the lead role. It was in St Clears that she met her husband Roy and after marrying they settled into Woodlands as Megan’s mother was unwell and she and Roy supported her parents for the rest of their lives. It was here that her two sons Richard and Robert were born and raised. As anyone who knew Megan will know, she loved children and successfully ran playgroups in Begelly and Lawrenny. There are many families whose children knew her as either ‘Granny Megan’ or ‘Auntie Megan’ and many attended her funeral in recognition of the care she had shown. She also has two granddaughters, Clare and Sarah, on whom she doted and was never happier than when she was looking after them and their friends. For many years Megan was also a volunteer for the Samaritans, she found this very fulfilling and helped many people in times of difficulty. Roy and Megan were very fortunate to celebrate their Diamond wedding anniversary last April. Megan was as proud as punch to receive an anniversary card from the Queen and delighted in showing it to anyone who visited Woodlands. Unfortunately in the last few months of her life her health deteriorated, but with the great support of her devoted husband Roy in particular and the rest of the family, she passed away peacefully in Woodlands which was her dearest wish.

The funeral took place at Parc Gwyn Crematorium on January 27th with Ven. C J Harvey officiating, where a large gathering of family and friends attended.

Immediate family left to mourn are Roy (husband); Richard and Robert (sons); Gill and Patsy (daughters-in -law); Clare and Sarah (granddaughters).

The bearers were Jeremy Reynolds (godson), Roland Phillips, Howard Lewis, Michael Lewis, Paul Lewis and David Thomas (nephews). There were family flowers only but donations in lieu can be made either to Narberth Health Centre or Cancer Research UK (Local branch) c/o E C Thomas and Son, Funeral Directors, Archways, Green Plains, Stepaside, SA67 8LT who also carried out the funeral service.

Dorothy Journeaux (also known as Dossie)

The death occurred at Withybush Hospital on Friday January 13th of Dorothy Journeaux of Haven Drive, Milford Haven.

The funeral took place on January 18th at St Davids Church, Hubberston.

The service was conducted by Rev Alan Chadwick, internment was at Milford Haven cemetery.

The bearers were Damian Buckingham, Lee Journeau (grandsons), Robert Edward and Chico Allerton (nephews).

The family left to mourn are her children Carol, Janice, Michael and Carl, together with Nicky, Peter, Kim and Bethan (husbands and wives); Sacha, Carla, Damion, Nicola, Paul, Lee, Jacklyn, Michelle, Jessica and Cara (grandchildren) also great grandchildren; brothers George, Jacky, Malcolm; sisters Pat and Margaret and other family members to many to mention.

There were family flowers only with donations in lieu of flowers to Green Acres Animal Rescue, Ebbs Acres Farm, Talbenny, Haverfordwest SA62 3XA.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Tom Newing and sons, Milford Haven.



St Mary's Church, Haverfordwest, held a crowded congregation on Tuesday January 24th for the funeral of a former secondary school teacher who is widely respected and held in affection by generations of pupils whose lives he enriched.

Mr John Jones of Blue Hills, 166, Haven Road, Haverfordwest, who died aged 78 in Ward 10, Withybush Hospital, on January 13th after a brief illness which he bore with characteristic courage and dignity, was a native of the town where he had lived and worked all his life.

After leaving Haverfordwest Grammar School, where he excelled in English, he joined the staff of the County Education Department before spending two years National Service in the South Wales Borderers during which time he studied Russian. After demobilisation he trained in Trinity College, Carmarthen, and his first teaching post was at The Coronation School, Pembroke Dock. In the late 1950s he became a teacher at The County Secondary Modern School (now Sir Thomas Picton) where his wife-to-be, Margaret McConnochie, was already a teacher since 1955. As Head of the Special Needs Department he made an invaluable contribution to the education of less able pupils, his integrity, understanding, empathy and patience providing ideal attributes for the role. He and Margaret married in 1957 and they celebrated 54 years of marriage last year. Interested in sport and music, John played rugby for Haverfordwest, and sang as a chorister in St Mary's Church where he later became a Church Warden and Church Secretary, holding the latter post until illness overtook him. He had worked assiduously for the church for over 40 years, helping to look after the town clock for the Perrot Trust and putting his DIY skills to good use in the working team. As recently as September he regularly climbed the scaffolding to check on restoration work being carried out to the tower. He was a leading participant in successive restoration projects over the years. He took a keen interest in Haverfordwest Racecourse, which had featured in his life from childhood, and he was an active member and current vice-chairman of the Portfield Recreation Committee, co-ordinating the planting of many trees, including 449 oak saplings commemorating the deaths of every sailor at Trafalgar, including Lord Nelson. But above all he was a family man, extremely proud of his two children and two grandchildren, and much loved by his extended family and many friends. Well read, a good conversationalist and with a keen sense of humour, he will be sorely missed.

The service of remembrance and thanksgiving in St Mary's Church was conducted by the curate, Father Harri Williams, assisted by the former Vicar, Canon Derek Evans, The Vicar, Father Paul Mackness, was unable to be present. There was also a large attendance at Parc Gwyn Crematorium.

The principal mourners were Mrs Margaret Jones (wife); Lyndon and Nicola Jones (son and daughter-in-law); Rachel and Colin Evans (daughter and son-in-law); Izzy and Maddie Jones (granddaughters); Mrs Tina Haynes (sister); Emlyn and Enid Jones (brother and sister-in-law); Miss Jane Jones (sister); Caroline and Mike Noott, Nicola Legge, Simon and Jacquie Jones, (nephews and nieces); Vernon and Nigel Davies, Evan and Sheila Roberts and Clare and Ian (cousins) and many close friends too numerous to mention.

The bearers were Stuart Mills, Gordon Peachment, John Warren and Derek Rees (church colleagues and friends).

There were family flowers only, but donations in lieu may be made to St Mary's Church or to Ward 10 Trust Fund, Withybush Hospital, and sent to Derek Rees, 18, Glenover Park, Haverfordwest, Pembs, SA61 1HA.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Roy Folland and Son, Haverfordwest.

Jennifer Florence Rowlands


Jennifer Florence Rowlands died peacefully at her home in Llanstadwell, on January 15th after a short illness. She was 10 days short of her 62nd birthday.

The funeral service was held at St Tudwall Church, Llanstadwell and cremation at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth, where a large number of family and friends gathered to pay their respects.

Left to mourn are her husband John, son Matthew and partner Donna-Marie with her beloved granddaughter Eva Marie, daughter Brioney and husband Aaran along with her brother Alan and his wife Christine.

Jenny and John moved from Kent to Llandstadwell in 1984. Being the sociable person that she was, Jenny quickly made many friends with people throughout the area, particularly when out walking her dog Leia, her trusted companion. She became a figure who everyone grew to love and recognised. She became a carer in the community where she spent many years looking after those less fortunate than herself. This was the role that she really loved and that love of caring for others was reflected in everything she did for her family, friends and clients alike. Testimony of her devotion to her work was shown in the many kind thoughts given in the cards of condolence received by the family.

The bearers were Keith Boggis, Peter Crosswell, Dai Thomas and Mark Yeomans, all close family friends.

There were family flowers only. Donations can be made to the Paul Sartori Foundation c/o the Treasurer, 31 Haven Road, Haverfordwest or the Macmillan Nurses c/o Winch Lane Medical Centre, Haverfordwest.

Mrs G J C Palmer

Mrs Gwyneth Jane Claudine Palmer passed away peacefully on January 5th in Withybush Hospital after a relatively short illness.

She leaves to mourn Martin, Margaret, Jane and many cousins and their families.

She went to Stepaside School followed by Narberth Grammar School. She entered Trent Pak College in 1950 and her whole teaching career was spent in Pentlepoir School where she was Deputy Headmistress for 15 years and acting head upon retirement.

Gwyneth was the daughter of the late Bobby and Elsie Ellis. She was actively involved in the Amroth Parish Hall Committee, Amroth Community Council and the Methodist Chapels at Summerhill and Stepaside. In 1958 she was a founder member and later President of Summerhill WI going on to become vice chair of the County Federation and would have become chair but for ill health. She was the first lady chairman of Amroth Community Council in 1979, topping the poll in two elections. She became a magistrate in 1980 and served on the bench for several years. She was lifelong member of Summerhill Chapel and became Sunday School organist from the age of eight years and later chapel organist.

She will be best remembered for her musical abilities in so many ways. She taught many children and adults over the years, having gained her ATCL at the age of 17 years. She formed the Summerhill and District WI Choir which had the honour of performing at the Albert Hall. She succeeded her father as conductor of Stepaside Methodist Chapel for Sunday School anniversaries.

As well as these activities, Gwyneth loved to play bridge and spent many happy hours playing with Martin at Tenby Bridge Club and at home.

Unfortunately in recent years the onset of Alzheimers disease prevented her from taking part in most aspects of public life.

Her funeral, which took place on January 16th was attended by a large gathering of friends and family. There were family flowers only but donations if so desired can be made to the Alzheimers Society c/o E C Thomas and Sons, Funeral Directors, Archways, Green Plains, Stepaside, Narberth.

Derek Davies


Derek Davies died peacefully at home in Cuckoo Mill Farm on December 5th aged 77.

Derek was the son of Maggie and Stanley Davies and was born at Middle Broadmoor, Talbenny where he farmed with his parents and uncle, Arthur Davies. He moved to Cuckoo Mill when he married Margaret in 1957, they then had two sons Martin and Michael.

The farmed with them and their families for the remainder of his life.

He had four grandchildren Daniel, Joseph, Emily and Bethan of whom he was so proud and loved dearly.

The family left to mourn are Margaret (wife); Martin and Julie, Michael and Ann (sons and daughters-in-law); Daniel, Tanya, Joseph, Emily and Bethan (grandchildren); Patricia and Peter (sister and brother-in-law); Roger and Nicola, Richard and Stephanie, Margaret and Graham, Kenneth and Tina, Catherine and Matthew, Jayne, Phillip, Oliver and Hayden (nieces and nephews); Helen and Per, Linda and Keith were unable to attend.

There were many more relatives too numerous to name. The bearers were Peter Smith, Alwyn Roach, Neil Jones, Gary Barber, Philip Riggs and Will Booth.

The funeral took place at Parc Gwyn, Narberth on December 13th attended by a large number of friends and relatives.

The Rev Paul Davies and Rev Martin Spain officiated at the service.

The bearers were Peter Smith, Alwyn Roach, Neil Jones, Gary Barber, Philip Riggs and Will Booth.

There were family flowers only but donations in lieu of flowers may be made to the Paul Sartori Foundation and received by Tom Evans, New Park, Portfield Gate, Haverfordwest.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Roy Folland and Son, Haverfordwest.

Mrs Susan Ann Wood


The death occurred in hospital of Mrs Susan Ann Wood of Tudor Close, Pembroke on January 7th. She was 62.

Originally from England she was an invoice clerk for six years, an adult carer for mentally handicapped women and brought up three girls.

She enjoyed horse riding at Bowlings Riding Stables and was also a brown owl in Reading.

She attended church regularly before moving to Pembroke in 2000.

The family left to mourn and principal mourners are Michael (husband); Jacqueline, Valerie and Michelle (daughters); Ray (brother); Gillian (sister).

The service was held at Parc Gwyn Crematorium and was officiated by Canon Roger Jones or Pembroke.

There were family flowers only with donations if so desired for Bowlings Riding Stables, Rudbaxton c/o E C Thomas and Son, Funeral Directors, Archways, Green Plains, Stepaside SA67 8LT who also carried out the funeral arrangements.

Jim Boyd (Aneurin Glyndwr James)


Jim was born April 29th 1919, he passed away peacefully on the January 18th at Tresewig Home Farm, Llandeloy, aged 92. The funeral took place on January 24 at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth. The service was conducted by the Reverend David Pusey and Rev Ben Dare. Jim was the 6th child of John and Kate James of Upper House Farm in Loveston, Narberth, One of eight children, he was born in Pontypridd, his father then being a miner, in the Rhondda Valley. At a young age, he and his sister Rowena (Wena) came to Pembrokeshire to help run the farm with their uncles. They were later joined by the rest of the family in 1927.

The family were loyal members of the Congregational Chapel in Reynalton where Jim played the organ and sang in the choir. He went to Narberth Grammar School, leaving at 15 to manage the farm with his brothers.

At the outbreak of war he joined the Royal Gloucester Regiment, based in Cheltenham.

The end of war saw Jim return to farming but eventually he moved to London when after a few years he formed his own company in the Advertising Industry, with his friend Barrington Howard.

During his time in London he met and married Denise Jacobs of Oostende, who became his wife in January 1963. Jim and Denise then set up home in Brighton, Hove where in the early part of their married life they raised their young family of, four children who were born within two and a half years, Vanessa, Susan and Timothy and Matthew.

Jim and Denise brought their young family to Pembrokeshire, to The Old Rectory in Trecwn, settling there for a time, before going to St Davids, This is where Jim met Len Phillips, wife Nancy and children, Stephen and Nigel, which developed into a lifelong friendship. He will be missed by the Phillips family with whom he spent a large part of every year. He became very involved with the local community in that area. He moved to Milford Haven in 1977, and in 1983 lost his dear wife to sudden illness, missing her to the end of his life.

Jim was no ordinary man. A man of the earth, he understood farming and all it entailed. He also could speak informatively on many subjects, politics, law, literature and had a love of poetry, often writing his own. He had a natural wit, and huge sense of humour, He enjoyed listening to classical and 1940's Jazz music whilst reading the paper.

Jim rejoiced in being a grandfather, loving and having an avid interest in them all.

Nicola and Jonathon, Steffannie and Kirstie, Connor also Johnathan, Jack and Jessica. Timothy's marriage to Doreen gave him two step granddaughters, Kelly and Kasey, whom he welcomed to the family in 2010.

He was very pleased to become a great grandfather with the births of Aneirin-Glyndwr, and the recent arrival six months ago of Elijah Paul.

Jim also leaves behind ten surviving nephews and nieces, and their families too numerous to mention.

Donations have been requested in lieu of flowers for the Paul Sartori Foundation and the Royal British Legion.

Please send donations to Paul Jenkins and Sons, Feidr Castell, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire, SA65 9BB.

Mr F B Stephens


Brian Stephens died at Morriston hospital on december 30th aged 76. He lived at Douglas James Way, Haverfordwest, formerly of Spittal and Llanelli. Widower of Rosemary and son of the late Frank and Zena of Llanelli.

He was educated at Llanelli Boys Grammar School and Cardiff University where he graduated school he was awarded a management traineeship with British Railways which led to management posts art Stratford Upon Avon and Bristol. He joined the water industry at Llanelli in 1962 moving onto Haverfordwest on promotion in 1979 eventually taking early retirement in 1985. Unfortunately his wife Rosemary predeceased him in 1990. He was a passionate sportsman and was a former player and secretary at Llanelli Wanderers rugby club. An injury cut short his rugby career and he then became a WRU rugby referee, a role which he carried out for 21 years. His proudest moment was when he was a touch judge for the Wales v England match at Cardiff Arms Park in 1969.

He was a former clerk and treasurer to Spittal community council and became a staunch supporter of Haverfordwest RFC. He was appointed the club treasurer in 1990 and became the president in 1996. For his services he was made the first honorary life president at the club last year. During his rugby life he held a number of positions within county, regional and national committees.

Brian was also a former treasurer and chairman of the Paul Sartori Foundation in Haverfordwest.

The principal mourners were Mike and Chris Stephen (cousin and wife); Lorraine and Iwan, Jacqui and John (close friends) with numerous friends and colleagues from the sporting world. Unable to attend were Lloyd and Catherine, son and daughter of Mike and Chris.

His popularity was shown by the large gathering at the funeral at Parc Gwyn on January 16th.

The officiating minister was Rev Dr David Owen. The bearers were Alun John and John Willaims members of Llanelli Wanderers RFC, Charles Davies, Jeff Clout, Graham Dalton and Richard Brazell, members of Haverfordwest RFC.

Donation sin lieu of flowers to the Paul Sartori Foundation or to the Welsh Rugby charitable trust.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Roy Folland and Son, Haverfordwest.

Mr Witold Duba


The death occurred of Mr Witold Duba at Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest on January 23rd. He was 89.

A dear husband to Brenda and a much loved father and grandfather.

The funeral service took place on February 3rd.

Donations if desired to the Paul Sartori Foundation.