HUNDREDS of motoring enthusiasts took to the roads on Sunday for the annual Western Telegraph Pembrokeshire County Run.
With ever increasing numbers of vehicles taking part, this year there was a new start and finish line at the County Showground at Withybush.
A total of 520 vehicles passed over the start line – ranging from vintage vehicles to sporty hatchbacks from recent years.
The youngest driver taking part was 17 and the oldest 86, with passengers of all ages, from babies up to grandparents.
The Stig’s Pembrokeshire cousins even took part in the guise of Jez Holden and Wayne Ormond, of Tenby, in their MG TF.
This year marked the 40th anniversary of the Triumph Stag and the 75th anniversary of the Jaguar, with cars taking pride of place in the run.
It is also the centenary of the Alpha Romeo.
There were also a number of motorbikes and scooters taking part.
Rousing music from the wartime era was also played in tribute to both the 65th anniversaries of VE and VJ day and the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and Operation Dynamo.
Crowds were entertained at the showground by music from the Paul Kelly Disco Road Show.
Guests of honour included the Mayors of Haverfordwest, Fishguard and chairman of Rudbaxton community council, along with the president and lady ambassador of Pembrokeshire Agriculture Society.
Pembrokeshire County Council chairman Cllr John George, who waved the cars off with Haverfordwest Mayor Christopher Blakemore, said: “This
is the biggest event of its kind in Wales. Thirteen years ago it was 25 vehicles taking part, this year more than 600 signed up. It is a measure of how popular this event has become with motor
enthusiasts, both visitors and residents alike.
“As they drive through Pembrokeshire they will see just how beautiful it is and what makes our county so special for those of us who live here.”
Marshals were proved by Pembrokeshire Road Training and other sponsors included the West Wales Car Club and RWE npower. Megaprinter.co.uk provided additional plaques for vehicles taking part after
the first batch ran out.
Car run organiser Jeff Edwards said there had been a few teething problems in the morning and there was some gridlock as cars arrived, but he had received good feedback, with plenty of ideas to
improve things next year.
“We are looking at a few changes to the 2011 route next year by reducing its length and alternative routes for some of the older vehicles,” he said.
“We knew from the start that this year’s run was very much trial and error due to both the new venue and the extended route, and lessons were learnt on the day, but all in all, every message we
have received has been very positive about the move to the showground.
“Our grateful thanks to everyone who took part and also to the wonderful spectators who were at the start and finish lines and also lined the route.”
The event is free for participants, but money raised from the sale of programmes will be split between the British Heart Foundation and Withybush Hospital’s ITU.