WING George North is returning to Wales on a dual contract next season – at a region yet to be decided.

The 25-year-old British and Irish Lions speedster, who is currently sidelined by a knee injury, is heading home after leaving the Scarlets for Northampton in 2013.

North has enough caps - 69 - to still be selected for Wales if he plays overseas but has decided to return on an NDC.

The Dragons, now owned by the Welsh Rugby Union, are in the hunt for stellar names and are hopeful of snapping up back row forward Ross Moriarty.

They are well stocked for wingers but are sure to be interested in one of the sport’s biggest names, with North guaranteed to be a big commercial hit.

"It is fantastic that George is returning to Wales on a national dual contract," said Wales head coach Warren Gatland.

"At just 25, George is in the prime of his career and signing an NDC, with all the playing and non-playing benefits associated with it, will allow him to flourish.

"It is great for the game here in Wales to see a player of George's stature and reputation return home to play his domestic rugby.

"We will work with George to determine the best fit for him and will look to announce where he will play in the New Year."

The NDC means that 60 per cent of the north Walian's contract will be paid by the governing body with one of the Scarlets, Dragons, Ospreys and Cardiff Blues picking up the remaining 40 per cent.

North believes he will prosper thanks to the way that the dual deal manages top Test talent such as Sam Warburton, Leigh Halfpenny and Alun Wyn Jones.

“As a proud Welshman, I’m excited to be heading back to Wales and to have signed a NDC," said North, who has earned 38 of his 69 Wales caps while at Franklin's Gardens.

“I feel that the time is right and the opportunity to sign a NDC, with the benefits that come with it and the support it provides from the national squad set-up, was a great option for me.

“I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to be part of Northampton Saints last four years and I have loved every minute of my time there.

“I am excited to see what we can achieve this season and I will be putting everything I have into helping the squad fulfil our potential this year.

“I would like to thank everyone at the Saints, especially all of the supporters.”